Friday, February 24, 2012

Air Idaho

On Sunday I had the opportunity to go down to Air Idaho and spend 24 hours with them. While there I do anything that the flight medics would do. So I go through the crew checklist for the day, inspect the airplane, and if there are any flights I get to go! Around 14:30 we had our first call to go to Salmon, Idaho. This is the plane I flew on, the normal plane was getting repairs.This is my flight suit!
This is flying out of Idaho Falls. It had snowed the night before, but there were beautiful mostly clear skies for my day of flight.
This is the view from where I sat. Inbetween me and Roger, the medic, is there the patients go, and the nurse is on the seat to the left.
Just flying over the last mountain pass to Salmon.
Our patient was too sick so we didn't have to help him with anything really. Just transport him and make sure he didn't code. Even after we got him to the hospital the docors weren't sure what was wrong with him. Picture is flying out of Salmon
Our next flight happened at 8:00 the next morning (My shift was supposed to end at 9) but with ANOTHER call I couldn't pass up the opportunity! This time it was to Pinedale, Wyoming, and I got to fly in the cockpit! :) The Pilots are all super nice and describe what everything is and answer any questions.
Some mountains we flew over
Coming into the runway! I absolutely LOVE flying!! I'm not sure why, but I still get excited at take offs and landings, and I love to look out the window! So having this amazing few of the run way get closer and closer to us had me all giddy, and I took pictures. :)


Whoa!!! Were there!! :)
The patient we picked up at Pinedale was REALLY sick! The poor lady had so many things wrong with her. (For my own rememberance: history of A-fib, breast cancer, myelonoma, stopped taking her Coumadin b/c of a head injury, stopped taking her Digoxin b/c she couldn't afford it, doctor intubated her, she almost coded on our way back to the plane, had 3 different IV drips going, one of NE that basically kept her bloood pressure alive.)
This is the Wind River Mountain Pass, there were so many mountains and it was beautiful! Both of these little cities were surrounded by beautiful mountains! Why does Rexburg have none?!
We BARELY made it back to the airplane in time to fly back to Idaho Falls. The pilot can only be on the clock for a certain amount of time, so we quickly loaded her up and took off all within 3 minutes, which is a fast considering how you have to get people in and out. On our way TO pinedale we flew over the clouds, on our way BACK we flew through the clouds to save time! We were so crunched for time! The Pilot had to be landed by 11:02 and we took off around 10:30, it was a 35 min. flight, not including the landing and take off time. As soon as we got over the mountain pass and were above Idaho falls again the pilot started doing a 360 circle downward as fast as he could!! I felt like my face was falling off and I was slumping from the pressure that was being put on me. It was So insane and fun!! He landed at 11:01... haha :) I loved flying and the smaller plane! Turns were fun, bumps were fun, the view was better, it was all so wonderful!

3 comments:

  1. Golly! That looks so fun! You probably get all giddy because our first flight was so memorable you just try and relive it hahha :) by the way you look pretty sweet in your airplane jump suit. I want one! LOVE YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What amazing experiences you are having! You go girl! So glad there are people like you who WANT to do things like shove tubes down throats and push needles in veins! AND fly in teeny planes to rescue people in little towns! Thank heaven for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh, thank heaven for people like you! You look like such a cutie-pa-tootie in your air suit.

    ReplyDelete